Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Drop Dead Fred Remake

Ok movie spit followers this is my 1st blog so bare with me...
I'm makin it simple with one of my all time favorites "Drop Dead Fred" released in april 1991 by New Line Cinemas.
This movie has all the great elements of a cult classic as well as a family film with british comedian Rik Mayall as the title character, a crazy, creatively destructive menace who plays the imaginary friend of a little girl named Elizabeth (Pheobe Cates as adult Elizabeth).






Directed by Ate de Jong the two are seperated by the "Mega Beast" (Elizabeths Mom) played by Marsha Mason only to be reunited after a decade & return back to the duranged antics in true Drop Dead Fred style, starting food fights, sinking house boats, & beating up violionists in shopping malls giving all she credit to Elizabeth (Phoebe Cates) as being a total nut job since no one can see Fred but her. 
So now it seems Universal has a remake of the 1991 film in the works & Russel Brand has agreed to be the next Drop Dead Fred which will be released sometime in 2014.


Though I am a fan of his work it does make me a bit nervous to see how this flick comes out. I'm not a big fan of remakes specially if its one of my favorites. In my opinion Rik Mayall placed the bar pretty high so it will be interesting to see if Russell will measure up...




Jeremy DeRhodes
Bastard Productions Team



No comments:

Post a Comment